Being pregnant again is especially challenging if your first child is very young. You may be even more exhausted than the first time round and you have a toddler or child to look after as well.
There are some things you can do to prepare yourself and your toddler or child for the new arrival:
- If you are thinking of moving older siblings to new rooms, it may be easier for them if you do it before baby arrives. It may be less jealous if new baby was not the most obvious reason. Maybe saying you are moving to a big-boy/girl-room now…
- It is best to limit your caffeine intake to two cups of coffee or to mugs of tea (about 200mg). Remember there is caffeine in coke, energy drinks and chocolate, too.
- It is okay to sometimes use the TV to keep the older child or children occupied while you are resting and once new baby is born :)
- Look after yourself and don’t forget to take folic acid from the time you start trying to conceive and until at least 12 weeks of pregnancy
- New baby could give older siblings (especially if they are very young) a present to start off on a good note :)
- Once a day, practice some relaxed breathing while you think about your new baby growing inside you
- Only because you feel like you don’t give your second child as much attention as you did your first one, that’s normal and does not mean that you are less attached to one or the other
- Think about who would be able to look after older siblings when you give birth and for the early days
- Try to eat a healthy and balanced diet
- Try to exercise regularly; this will keep your energy levels up!
New baby books for Children: